REOBoard stands for Recreational, Educational, Original Board. It is a BlueTooth Low Energy capable board aimed at leisure or educational robotics. It can receive messages from a smartphone (iOS or Android) and drive up to 6 servos and 4 DC motors simultaneously.
REOBoard has been designed mainly for robotics, and it therefore provides the following features:
Source code detail, tutorials are also published on this website.
- Processor: MSP430F5659
- Bluetooth: BLE112 (Bluetooth Low Energy)
- DC drivers: 4 outputs @ 700 mA each
- Servos: up to 6 pieces, with Futaba-like pulse commands
- SD card socket
- Extension: GPIO or peripherals (PWM, UARTS etc...) 60 pins including 12 analogue inputs and 2 analogue outputs.
- USB capable of HID, MSC, etc... USB can also be used for firmware upgrade using TI utility.
- Size: 81 x 56mm. Thickness: 3mm under the board, 11mm over the board (power jack).
- Power: 5 ~ 7.4V input. Generating 3.3 for circuit (and also 5V for legacy circuits).
- All connectors are on-pitch (2.54), enabling use of plain prototyping universal PCBs
- Application soft: iOS and Android sample code
- Scripting compiler on board (beta version), allowing to write real-time motor control programs with minimal effort.
- Android based speech recognition application allowing to drive motors and servos with your voice (alpha version).
- Board programming C software available from us and also from Texas Instruments
- On board scripting language allowing to do complex programs in a few lines
About the scripting language
We have developed a script allowing to program REOBoard easily. For this, you don't need a compiler, you just need some means to write a text file. A kind of compiler of this script is on board. Write a text file describing the flow of your program, put it in an SD card, insert the SD card, reboot, that's it, your program works. There are a few standard programs showing how to use the script.
This script is in a very early stage of development, but it allows already to do simple program in a few lines.
About the speech recognition software
The speech recognition program itself has been developed by Haapie in order to control the board.
REOboard can be used for a variety of applications.
- Small control devices (e.g. temperature control)
- Small robots, smartphone RC cars
- Speech recognition controlled applications
- Data loggers (using 12 ADC inputs and SD card)
- Educational: training new employees to robotics
The following application has been written for iPhone. It allows you to control a little car. All the parts can be purchased at model resellers.